4.15.2013

$5 wall treatment || tutorial




I had many requests on how I made this "wallpaper" in Kk's bedroom.  I think I had Sharpies and projectors on the brain during Creating with the Stars at East Coast Creative due to these projects submitted, shown here and here.





Originally, I wanted to use fabric on the wall.  Namely, Ikea's black, white, and green bird print that is not longer sold in stores, but I was not aware of that until I went to the store.  I decided to use a projector and six Sharpie paint pens (please see note below).  I traced some of the pattern on the wall.  Instead of copying it exactly the way it was on yardage, I moved pieces around and traced what I liked and where I wanted them to go.  Fairly easy, but it did take a toll on my wrist and shoulder.  :)  It took me a day to do the work, but I would recommend breaking it up a little to let your arm and hand rest.  A steady hand will be your best friend to achieve good results.

*Photos were taken with my phone.  I was so focused on getting the room done during a short limited amount of time that tutorial photos were not at the forefront of my brain.  But I think you get the idea. *




TIP::  Do NOT use Sharpie's Flip Chart Permanent Marker.  It will bleach the wall but was easily remedied with paint. (See note below.)



I continued the process all around the window moving the projector when needed.







I really loved how it turned out.  It doesn't look like Sharpie either, and if I had some of you fooled, then your friends and neighbors will be fooled too.

Update: Vintage Revivals has been using paint pens with much success lately.  As I am not 100% sure what the markers will do later on, although I was able to cover it up with paint when I made a few mistakes,  I would recommend following Mandi's advice and using the paint pens instead of markers just to be safe.   I have replaced the word markers with paint pens for future readers.  



You can view the whole room makeover here, and the source list can be found here.

peaceout

16 comments:

  1. Hi if I could be so nosy to ask...what kind of projector do you have? I want to get one but I'm do clueless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi if I could be so nosy to ask...what kind of projector do you have? I want to get one but I'm do clueless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a Panasonic pt-ax200u. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. Love how that came out. What a phenomenal idea. Pinned. Immediately :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it's beautiful and I love that fabric ~ I've got a bunch of it! What a great way to get an image on a wall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice! I might have to forego the expensive wallpaper I've been eyeing for my den and do something like this instead...you can't beat $5!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this wall! Turned out so great. Pinning now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this turned out so awesome. It totally doesn't look like sharpie and I just love the pattern.
    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/4562897

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this look! This project turned out great, but I do have to ask. Where can I get that butterfly pillow or the pillow case?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! great great idea, one of my future projects now thanks for sharing :) saludos from México

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome. So, so awesome. I never would have guessed it was sharpie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful print to turn into a wall design. How did you get the fabric design onto a projector sheet? I would love to do this in my daughter's closet, but it's too narrow for a projector. Maybe tracing paper will work? At least her closet is small. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you worried about the Sharpie fading after time? What are your thoughts on that? And do you think a colored Sharpie would work too, or do you think that might fade after time (especially if it's on a wall that sunlight hits)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that's a very good question. I don't know if marker will fade in the light. I know fabric will in direct sunlight, but I never gave it any thought if Sharpie will. If you find out, let me know! As for colored Sharpies, I don't see why you couldn't use them. Good luck! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...